Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"An American in Chains": James Yee's Gitmo experience as an Army captain and prisoner

An important article from the TimesOnlineUK.
James Yee entered Guantanamo as a patriotic US officer and Muslim chaplain. He ended up in shackles, branded a spy. This is his disturbing story. [snip] I was accused of mutiny and sedition, aiding the enemy and espionage, all of which carried the death penalty. I was regarded as a traitor to the army and my country. This was all blatantly untrue — as would be proved when, after a long fight, all the charges against me were dropped and I won an honourable discharge from the army. [snip] My real “crime” had been that I had tried to ensure that the suspected Taliban and Al-Qaeda fighters detained in the Gitmo cages were given every opportunity to practise their religion freely, one of the most fundamental of American ideals.
Read the whole article.

James Yee's book, For God and Country: Faith and Patriotism Under Fire is available here.

Tag: James Yee

No comments: